The Charles Theatre is located at 1711 N. Charles Street, less than two blocks north of Penn Station in beautiful Baltimore, MD.
Parking is available across the street in garage. It is $5 for 3 hours. Street parking may also be available.
$10.00 Matinees (all shows before 2:30 pm)
$9.00 Matinee group rate (25+)
$12.00 Regular admission
$11.00 Group rate (25+)
$10.00 Senior Discount
The Charles Theatre box office accepts cash, checks and credit cards.
Gift cards are available for purchase at our box office which opens daily at 1pm or we also offer eGift cards here.
We have hearing devices available at the customer’s request, and we are also fully equipped with closed-captioning and audio narration devices.
1. No outside food or drinks allowed in the auditoriums.
2. One ticket allows for one viewing of the film for which it was purchased.
3. Unless we are featuring a movie rated G or PG, children under 5 years of age will not be admitted.
4. We like to provide a distraction-free experience for all of our guests so children under the age of 17 are NOT allowed to attend R-rated motion pictures unaccompanied by a parent or adult guardian. Furthermore, under no circumstances will we allow children under the age of 13 to attend an R rated motion picture.
5. Please wait until a ticket taker tears your ticket before proceeding to your auditorium.
6. Turn off or silence your cell phone before entering any of the auditoriums.
7. Absolutely no recording equipment will be allowed in the auditoriums.
8. No loitering in the halls before, during or after the movie.
9. Please be respectful to the staff and to your fellow patrons.
10. Emergency exits are for EMERGENCIES ONLY!
11. Glass containers are not allowed in any of the auditoriums.
12. No shoes, no shirt, no service.
13. Refunds for tickets purchased at the theatre will only be issued within the first 20 minutes of the feature’s start time. Online ticket purchases are non-refundable.
Group rates (for 25 people or more) are available. We also offer theatre lobby rentals for independent filmmakers, fund-raisers, weddings, and parties. Please call 410-727-3464 or e-mail [email protected] for more information.
Join Our Team!
Click HERE to complete and submit your employment application.
The Charles is dedicated to providing wheelchair accessibility for all guests. We have designated wheelchair seating areas with companion seating nearby. Additionally, our restrooms are equipped with grab bars and ample maneuvering space. If you need further assistance or accommodations, our friendly staff is available to help you. We hope all of our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable experience at our theatre.
Closed Captioning, Assisted Listening & Descriptive Audio
The Charles is equipped with QSC Cinema Closed Captioning & Assisted Listening Systems.
Assisted Listening & Descriptive Audio Headsets – These headsets receive dialog centric audio at a user adjustable loudness and audio description of the movie action via infrared signals.
Closed Captioning Devices – Users are able to secure the device to a cup holder and adjust the flexible arm to the preferred angle. The device presents the dialogue in text form.
The 108-year-old structures which house The Charles boast a rich history. Designed in 1892 by architect Jackson C. Gott for the Baltimore Traction Company, the Beaux-Arts buildings were originally designed to be a cable car barn (north side) and a powerhouse (south side). The buildings served as cable car facilities for four years after which they became a streetcar barn, a bus barn, a library for the blind, and the Famous Ballroom. In 1939, the Times Theatre opened on the site as Baltimore’s first all-newsreel movie house. The theater was re-named the Charles circa 1959 and became a calendar revival house in 1979. The Charles remained a single-screen theater until 1999, when a dramatic expansion was completed to accommodate four additional screening rooms. The new five-screen Charles has a spacious, comfortable lobby and the four new screening rooms have stadium seating. The original auditorium has 370 seats and has been altered only slightly.